Thursday 2 February 2012

Kaya: Mayfair, Saturday 22nd October, 2011

Working lunches are a wonderful thing. Many's the time I've reminisced about darting out for a couple of hours when I worked in Fitzrovia to enjoy some tapas, pasta or a Nando's. There's something superb about being able to disassociate oneself from work and enjoy a time-out with colleagues. I have always been entertained when lunching with colleagues in that there's a common theme uniting everyone, so conversation never seems forced.

These days, work lunches are few and far between. I no longer work at a place where I'm surrounded by good friends. I don't have the time available that I used to. And I really miss it. But there is always something else around to perk one's spirits up. Usually any working lunch I have these days involves the wife visiting me on a day off, or me going to see her on a Saturday lunch time.

Hours are always the biggest issue when it comes to lunch during work time. I once remember having to eat half a chicken in five minutes because it had taken so long to come. That was an interesting afternoon's work I can tell you. Whenever I meet the wife for some work lunch, it's always rued that we could've done with 15 minutes or so longer.

Still, sometimes you don't need the extra time. One Saturday when autumn last year was kicking in, we decided to pop into Kaya, a Korean place on Albemarle Street in Mayfair. There is something slightly incongruous about there being a Korean place in Mayfair, but makes some sense when you find out it's just around the corner from the enormous Korean Air office.

The place itself is not amazing and not too bad at the same time. I had some bibimbap for lunch which I thoroughly enjoyed. A mixture of pickled vegetables, rice, eggs, spices and meat, this is a perfect way to get a load of food inside you with as little fuss as possible. Elegantly served in a stone bowl, there is enough of a touch of Mayfair about this place to make it sustainable in the area and appealing to the customer.

The wife was not particularly enamoured with her kim-chi tofu soup (I can't understand why anyone would be to be honest). She believed that the food was "normal but pricey." I don't have much of a frame of reference for this, but I would say that she has a point when Kaya is compared to Assa, at the other end of Piccadilly. This is a little steep in comparison. And the quality isn't too different either.

I believe the Mayfair premium is the biggest factor affecting price here. It's not the best Korean food in London but it isn't to be sniffed at. There are some extraordinary restaurants in Mayfair, but for a quick working lunch, this might be one of the best.

Kaya

No comments:

Post a Comment