Thursday 23 July 2009

High Road House Brasserie - Chiswick, 22nd of July, 2009

Corporate lunches are a wonderful thing. I don't get to partake very often, but I like to think that when I do, I'm worth the money. My office and I adjourned to this fairly large restaurant on Chiswick High Road, a short walk from Turnham Green station, for far longer than I had anticipated. The first brilliant part of the piece was that the visit went on for around three hours. Secondly, the food was extremely edible and enjoyable.

A few of us toyed with the idea of ordering the £19 rib-eye steak, but decided against it for our own safety in the office! Instead, we tried a variety of dishes which all went down well. Dining with ten other people, it's hard to try a bit of everything around the table, but my dishes were good enough to warrant analysis.

I went for eggs (or "egg") benedict, followed by a pork chop and a chocolate fondant. All three went off without a hitch. The eggs benedict was as a good egg on a muffin should be, but I was struck by the vibrancy and snap of some truly excellent ham. The pork chop was also good in a standard sort of a way, made better by the fact that it was not at all overdone, and the carrots on the side were well-buttered. I went for broke by ordering some dauphinoise potatoes on the side, which were as rich as they should be. Dessert was lovely, as any passable chocolate fondant should be. The inside was molten and very dark, and with vanilla ice cream on the side, it had me at "hello".

The High Road House Brasserie isn't really breaking any new ground in terms of restauranteering, but it is maintaining a level of readily available French/European cuisine that is starting to crop up all over the place on the high streets of London. Its polished metallic tables and sloping canopied roofs with outside dining and an old-fashioned bar make it a very enjoyable place to while away a few hours on a tasty lunch. If you're in Chiswick and can't quite afford La Trompette or Le Vacherin, this is no mean alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment