Saturday 1 October 2011

Eat as much as you can... If you can: Hi Sushi - Camden, Sunday 12th December, 2010

If anyone who knows my eating habits heard I was going to an all you can eat sushi restaurant, they'd probably assume I'd gone mad. The two things, hideous enough on their own, are surely the worst idea imaginable when combined. "All you can eat" is usually shorthand for cheaply-produced crap that a restaurant can wheel out to gullible punters whilst the place makes a tidy profit.

There were a couple of mitigating factors though. The other half had been challenged by Mike (one-time contributor to this blog and massive eating fan) to an eat-off. Now, without casting too many aspersions on either party, you'd only have to look at the two to pick a winner. Whatever the outcome, I had to be present at such a momentous occasion.

Secondly, my younger sister had just that weekend given birth to my first nephew, a gorgeous little boy by the name of Jack. Having met and held him for the first time, I was feeling pretty amazing and would have eaten pretty much anywhere.

I arrived fairly late on, newborns being the tardy things that they are, and found out that Mike and the other half had already got stuck into a couple of courses. There were actually four of us there overall, a friend making up the numbers with the hopes of competing in the great eat-off eventually turning into an also-ran.

The food, it must be said, isn't all that bad. I was late and had no desire to punish myself with eating loads of sushi, so I settled on a fairly innocuous-sounding bento box. In the event, the chicken teriyaki, prawn tempura, rice, pickles, soup and sushi rolls (yes, even they were alright) was just the ticket. Not exactly the sort of thing you'll see done much differently elsewhere but by no means bad.

As for the eating contest, Mike was soundly beaten. Amusement for all who know the man and a victory (if it can be called that) to my other half.

As for the sushi, it's nothing to write home about: I know this because we went back there for another friend's birthday earlier this year. It might be fun at first but it gets boring pretty quickly. The atmosphere in the place isn't bad; sunken tables and bench seats are a nifty gimmick. Still, despite all you can eat sushi being the main draw of the place, I wouldn't say I'd never go back.

Hi Sushi

No comments:

Post a Comment