Sunday 2 August 2009

Côte Restaurant, Kensington - 1st of August, 2009

Tom and I indulged ourselves in a heavy and lavish lunch on the first day of August at one of Côte's premier venues, on a small courtyard off High Street Kensington. It's a chain I've seen many times, but never actually eaten in.

The food was relatively standard fare, but I couldn't complain about any of it. (The roquefort butter Tom had with his steak was a tad too strong for me, but he loved it!) An early sign of promise was a basket of warm and fluffy white bread with soft butter. We're both suckers for a nice bit of butter, and this was wolfed down in minutes. The presentation of the bread (classic basket etc...) set the tone for a lot of pretty dishes to come.

The starters of some exquisitely light fried calamari and a decent rilettes (rough duck and pork paté) effort were a nice precursor to two hearty mains. Tom's steak was well-cooked and the frites it came with were quite as they ought to be. As I touched on earlier, the butter was far too strong for my tastes, but Tom put it away with vigour. I plumped for some decent duck, which came with gratin potatoes and dressing. Just about right, I must say.

We (in a seemingly progressively typical decadent fashion) decided to split a creme brulee on top of the desserts we each had. It was great: served in a cute black pot, replete with vanilla pods, and most importantly, the sugar on top was not overpowering. I went for the chocolate fondant (as I seem to be hunting for the perfect one) and Tom ate a divine creme caramel. I've never been a fan of these, but this was excellent and I could've eaten it happily.

Côte isn't really breaking any new ground, but it's yet another affordable chain where you can enjoy slightly-better-than-chain standard food. Check it out if you can, but don't expect the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment