Tuesday 8 June 2010

Strike Three for Ciao Bella..?

I am a forgiving person. I don't like to bear grudges. I will (with a few exceptions) re-visit restaurants I've been to before when I didn't enjoy the first time. And so I went back to Ciao Bella with Tom (but of course), the other half and a few companions for a mutual friend's birthday bang in the middle of restaurant week.

The experience itself didn't merit a full-on review as part of the event itself since I have eaten there before. However, it is worth documenting the experience.

Twice before I had eaten here (once during the last restaurant week) and twice I had been a little disappointed. The first time with some dubious meatballs and salmon, the second with an average pizza and poor desserts. I was more or less making this the last chance the restaurant had to impress me.

We sat outside on a sharp mid-March evening. It was not weather for sitting outside, but we were under the canopies and toasted by electronic heaters from above. The wine flowed, the spirits lingered (drinking spirits, that is; we weren't haunted at the table), the conversation swelled and the food was eaten. And enjoyed!

It was on this night that Ciao Bella finally delivered for me. The sardines to start weren't much to write home about, but some of the flavours were okay. Certainly not fresh enough, but tolerable. Main courses, however, were right on the money. Slow-cooked lamb with strong garlic sauce and a divine Saltimbocca (veal with bacon and herbs with white wine sauce) took me straight back to Italy and Tom could finally rest knowing that his go-to restaurant had done the job.

Desserts were a mixed affair, but the party of us were having such a good time we didn't overly worry about it. Cheesecake ice cream was the highlight, and the rest didn't get far above standard.

Anyway, what you certainly can take from this review is that you can consider me swayed: Ciao Bella may be flawed, but it's charming and authentic (in the main), and it's certainly one of the only places in London I'd consider eating a piece of veal at 10pm outside on a winter's night.

No comments:

Post a Comment