Friday 5 June 2009

Borough Market

It's uber-cool to hang around Borough Market at the weekends, and when you manage to get down there, you can see why. Blazing Saturday morning sunshine, bubbling local pubs, quirky buskers, a healthy mix of foodies and tourists and one excellent selection of food, drink and other bits and pieces besides... It's wonderful under them old hall roofs.

I can't recommend going here highly enough, if you care about your food, or if you're just curious about buying fresh produce that's a cut above most of what you can get in a supermarket. The last time I was there, I ended up splashing out a fair amount, which turned into a six-course evening meal with some friends. Highlights were some large, juicy scallops (ten for around £8), some greasy and gorgeous black pudding (four slices for £2.50), some restaurant-quality foie gras & black truffle parfait (£7 for 100g) and a cracking variety box of mushrooms (£4.50).

I'm sure what I went on to make from these sensational ingredients didn't do them justice, but it made me realise what a gem this place is. Please go there for a cultural and gastronomical awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment